2016 Class preparing for another interesting speaker! Photo by David Peterson
Alabama Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Program
Do you love plants? Do you enjoy learning? Then you are a great candidate for the Master Gardener Intern Training Program! You do not have to be a garden expert, just come with a desire to learn and grow!
The Alabama Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Program is an educational volunteer-recruitment program offered through the Alabama Cooperative Extension System. The mission of Alabama Extension Master Gardeners is simple: work in cooperation with, and under the direct supervision of, the Alabama Cooperative Extension Service, to disseminate research-based, sound gardening practices to residents. The fourteen-week Master Gardener training course is available on-line via Zoom (at the Lee County Extension Office) with hands-on afternoon sessions. Classes in the training program include home lawns, trees, shrubs, annual and perennial flowers and vegetable gardening. Extension specialists, agents, local specialists, and certified Master Gardeners will teach the courses.
Participants in the Master Gardener Course are required to report 50 hours of volunteer service within a year of completing the course in order to become certified. After which, certified Master Gardeners achieve 25 hours of volunteer service. Projects range from answering Helpline calls and assisting Extension agent workshops to ongoing community projects.
• Contact Alabama Cooperative Extension Service (ACES) to sign up for a future class; Lee County ACES 334-749-3353 600 S. 7th St., Opelika Request online link to register for class.
• When a Master Gardener class is offered, register early to ensure your place in the class. Lee County residents will receive a $50 scholarship from a local endowment.
• Complete the 50 hour class schedule. Classes are held the same day once a week for 10 weeks.
• Complete Internship - Volunteer & Report 50 hours* *Includes volunteer time for extension and association projects, including the HelpLine.
• Maintain Membership - Volunteer & Report 25 hours of volunteer service and 10 hours of CEUs annually - Pay Annual Dues.
Alabama Cooperative Extension System (Alabama A&M University and Auburn University) is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity and the diversity of its workforce. Educational programs serve all people regardless of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, marital status, family/parental status, religion, sexual orientation, political beliefs, reprisal, or because all or a part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program.
Not ready to attend this year? Please ask to be put on a contact list for future Master Gardener Course Classes.